Sunday, June 29, 2008

Crusading


Last night I hung out with friends from last year.  It was awesome to see them again.  Jordan is somewhere I did not think I would get to for awhile, much less within a year of leaving.

Today we headed north to Jerash.  In the center of that city is possibly the best persevered roman ruins in the world.  People have said these Columns and amphitheater rival Rome itself.  It takes a good half hour to get to the other side of the park, all through massive cobblestone roads lined with columns.  

We ended up watching a rather entertaining gladiator show that even Russell Crow would be proud of.  I have decided the next car I am going to get is a chariot.  

Then we conquered Ajloun castle.  This is one of my favorite places in Jordan.  There is always a cool breeze, and gorgeous views of a very pretty and tree filled northern Jordan.  This was an islamic castle built against the crusaders by Salhadins cousin.  Like last year it ended up shooting cool pictures in dangerous positions.  However we got to show off to the pompous saudis, who insisted on taking their pictures with our girls.  (the girls were not game, thank god)

Then we headed to what I think was a tourism celebration, where us, Leeds University in England, and a Jordanian university met and heard speeches mostly in arabic.  They were honoring the Kings deputy on Tourism, and the former minister of tourism.  I talked to the man of honor for a little bit, and learned he had family in West Allis.  He was concerned about all the flooding we had.  I spent a lot of time talking to the captain of the tourism police.  he informed me of his UN service, and told war stories about the b=hell he saw in Bosnia.  He also informed me that George Carlin has passed away.  I am very bummed.  Today we start very intensive arabic.  

No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.