Thursday, July 3, 2008

Chasing Waterfalls


“Oh yea, there apparently is alot of water, make sure you have good shoes on.  you are going to get wet!”  This was the direction we got as we got off the bus.  After trolling along the dead sea highway we made it to my new favorite spot in Jordan, Wadi Mujib.  This is a rock bed stream, which culminates in a 50 foot waterfall 3k from where we start.  The only way to get there is to talk up stream.  This is no Six Mile creek.  There are 4 or 5 smaller rapids and falls the involve ladders, ropes and vaulting each other up whitewater.  The constant immersion in water feels excellent.  There were tiems going up stream that the water was up to my waist.  There were times coming down that involved sliding down rapids into a pool over my head.  Being able to stand under 50 foot falls is probably the best shower I have had in my time here. Who would have thought there are tourist rivers, much elss waterfalls in the middle of the desert?  

Tomorrow I get to head o the Royal High Commission on Youth, to hopefully start my real job of networking for youth contacts and civil society.  

I apparently missed Rhythm and Booms, once again.  This used to be my favorite way to celebrate our nations independence.  Last year it was replaced by a differnet party.  Imagine who kind of fun can happen when Americans get together, in the middle east, for the 4th of July, at the Embassy.  I can’t wait.  I am going to get real hotdogs, amybe even cheese curds!


Happy 4th!


No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.