Thursday, January 20, 2011

Leaving on a Jet plane

It’s about 8 in the morning here. I am sitting on the 11th story balcony, overlooking an area of Cairo from out apartment for the next few days. Steam comes off my freshly made cup of tea (look mom, no hands!) as the sun starts to warm up the city. It will get up 70 today, and I couldn’t be happier.
Plane ride over to Europe was great. I have never flown in a 747, and flirted my way to an open row with the nice woman at check in. I got all 4 seats to myself and promptly went to sleep sprawled out. When I woke up we were in Europe. Most of my friends, and many Drake students will get off at the European stop. They will see wonderful things, probably taste wonderful liquids of varying results, and be immersed in a different western lifestyle. My European adventure consisted of a frankfurter (when in Frankfurt) a beer and another nap. Eiffel towers, cathedrals, and tapas places are fine, but some crave a little more adventure.
I am not sure what it takes to come to the Middle East. We met a group of students headed to American University Cairo. There was a confidence amongst both teams, a sort of “I’m ready to take on the world” mentality. Undoubtedly the stresses of Middle Eastern life for Americans will rear up at some point. We will be ready. The next week or so is orientation and acclamation before we push north to our actual apartment.
The tea is getting cold.
-IW

No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.