Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Changes in latitudes...

6,000 miles. 23kg luggage allowance. 4 months, 2 weeks, 2 days. 181 pounds (I fully expect to drop back to 165, upon return I am starting the new fad diet: falafel and hummus, Atkins beware!) 1 hideous beard. All set to roll down the tarmac.
I’m all packed up, ready to go off on another adventure. This time it won’t be for a week in Des Moines. Or even three weeks playing tourist down the Nile. I have prepared for this ever since Ms. Brey said “hey, want to go to Jordan?” I will be exceeding previous stays in the region by more than double. This time there is no mission; no metrics to be judged upon, no team to oversee. The goal is simple: be. Learn more Arabic. Open up the world, and come back with stories. There will be lots of stories.
Almost all of my previous posts have been song names or lyrics, so in that fashion I will end with the following:
“Reading departures signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I’ve been…Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure make me want to go back again!”
So I will.
See you in the Sandbox!

No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.