Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sitting waiting wishing

“I can’t believe you are moving that. It is really winding down,” my roommate mentioned last week as he inspected my disassembled futon and helped me load it on the roof of my van. This has been one more reminder of what is quickly approaching: the end of my undergraduate experience. That futon has been in my possession since sophomore year. I have had residents sitting on it telling me about their deepest fears, I have had sports parties where we spilled beer. I have fallen asleep on it to the sun of an afternoon nap, and enjoyed late nights that ended with a sunrise (and started with a tequila version of said sunrise.) Now it will be passed down to my younger brother as he makes his way through college.

(Side note: if you are going to buy a futon, get a nice one. I got this from Golde’s in Madison, WI. Much more comfortable than the $80.00 box store brands, and holds up.

I also got my cap and gown yesterday. It is weird thinking that 4 years ago, I was trying on my purple cap and gown and walking across the stage. College graduation, seems much more low key. There aren’t the huge parties roaming from house to house for weekends on end. I am even more certain than I was in high school that I won’t see many folks again for a long time. Some of our porch conversations have consisted of whom we will try to stay in touch with, or would invite to our weddings. Drake has Relays, which continuously calls folks back. I intend to not have to come back to Drake itself until a 5 year reunion, but doubt that will happen. The place always draws me back, even when I swear I will see it in the rearview mirror for the last time.

Only a few of my friends have positions yet which is scary, but I talked to a woman I graduated from high school with, and she said she wont even be looking until this summer for employment, even though we head out at the same time. I am eternally delighted to have my Navy position.

No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.