Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Letter

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company”-Lord Byron

Lent was yesterday, which kicks off the annual conversations over the Hubbell lunch tables of “so what are you giving up?” My favorite one was in middle school giving up Nickelodeon (channel 47 back home,) and then ended up not really enjoying it after Easter. This is probably why I have never given up milkshakes. A few years ago a close friend told me that instead of giving up something she was going to be adding something good for her (in this particular case, drinking a full nalgene of water each day.) Having already giving up the more fun things in life last spring (the Middle East provides for a lengthened unintentional fasting from some of the traditional aspects people give up for the holiday.) This time I will be writing letters.

Two days in, and I have written two letters. I will keep you updated how it goes. I am looking forward to the one to the Commander in Chief and to my sailors.

No comments:

All Drake bloggers are compensated for their time. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Drake University.